e-Enquiry

Computational Engineering, Empirical Computer Science, Distributed Systems

Creating Web Pages With Template Render

| Comments

I’m very fond of static website generators–they’re a lot faster than interpreted (php, ruby) or even most compiled (Java) based solutions. I’m using Octopress to manage this blog currently, it’s basically a set of customizations, style files, and build scripts that extend the capabilities of Jeckyll, a comprehensive platform in its own right. I’ve also tried out the node.js based Docpad and the pythonic Hyde and Pelican.

While these all do a fairly good job of managing a standard blogging sites, in my opinion they all suffer from trying to do a bit too much, to manage the whole job of website creation, which makes it difficult to decouple small, specific bits of functionality, like rendering just a few web pages from templates. Also, I never really got into the Jinja2 templating language: I don’t like the way that it (doesn’t) handle inline code, or the fact that every call to a macro has to be in the form of a block, or that every macro definition needs to do something with the content included in the block, even if you didn’t want to use that feature. I much prefer the style of Mako, but none of the popular static website generators seem to support it.

For the Department’s digital sign project, I just needed something that would rending a single, but fairly complicated, web page in a way that would be easy for me to customize, and I didn’t want to deal with the overhead of a lot of features aimed at things like blogging that I never intended to use. My first thought was to hack something together with Make and the mako-render script that came packaged with Ubuntu, but whereas the static website generators did more than I wanted, this seemed a little too simple. So, naturally, I decided to hack together something on my own.

In point of fact the mako template library makes it very easy to invoke the rendering engine once you give it a few basic configuration parameters, so most of the script is just parameter passing. Jinja2 is similarly easy, so I added another function and threw it in as well, changing the name of the project from mako-render2 to template-render. In the future I plan to add a few more features, such as support for Jeckyll-like Yaml front matter, while keeping the focus solidly on the task of rendering individual webpages.

User Manual

usage: template-render [-h] [-i INPUTFILE] [-e ENGINE] [-d TEMPLATE_DIRS]
                       [-t TEMPLATE] [-b BLOCK] [-m METAFILE] [-v VAR]
                       [-o OUTPUTFILE] [-ienc INPUT_ENCODING]
                       [-oenc OUTPUT_ENCODING]

Render a file using templates.

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -i INPUTFILE, --inputfile INPUTFILE
                        input file
  -e ENGINE, --engine ENGINE
                        templating engine
  -d TEMPLATE_DIRS, --template_dirs TEMPLATE_DIRS
                        : delimited template search path
  -t TEMPLATE, --template TEMPLATE
                        template to apply to input file
  -b BLOCK, --block BLOCK
                        template block to override
  -m METAFILE, --metafile METAFILE
                        metadata file in yaml format
  -v VAR, --var VAR     name=value pairs to be added to metadata
  -o OUTPUTFILE, --outputfile OUTPUTFILE
                        output file
  -ienc INPUT_ENCODING, --input_encoding INPUT_ENCODING
                        input encoding
  -oenc OUTPUT_ENCODING, --output_encoding OUTPUT_ENCODING
                        output encoding

The most important parameter is “-t”, which is used to tell the script what template should be used for rendering. The script also supports inclusion of content from either a file or stdin with the “-i” option (“-” for stdin), and this content is inserted into the block named with “-b”. The “-d” option can be used to provide a “:”-delimited search path for template files. By default the script assumes mako format templates, but it also supports jinja2 templates using the command line option “-e jinja2”. Support for additional template engines may be added in the future.

Templates are given access to a “meta” python hash that contains values supplied by either yaml-format metadata files specified using the “-m” option or using “-v” name=value pairs. The metadata files are read in the order given on the command line, then the name=value pairs are applied, also in command line order. So, it is possible to supply a site-wide metadata file and then override values for specific pages.

By default the script outputs the rendered document to stdout, but a filename can also be given using the “-o” option. The script reads and writes utf-8 by default, but these can be overridden using the “-ienc” and “-oenc” options respectively.

Now, I just need a few more scripts to create my blog pages and manage the build…

Comments